Friday, January 8, 2010

Can I use my flash drive to get music off of my itunes on my old computer and put it on my new one?

If i could it would save me 80 in buying a external hard drive. ThanksCan I use my flash drive to get music off of my itunes on my old computer and put it on my new one?
Yes, but depending on the size, you may need to do multiple sets of copy and move. It's not uncommon for people to have much more music than they can fit onto their flash drive. Anyway, in this event, you'll want to decide on how to keep track of what you've moved.





An easy way to do this is to follow the following steps.





1. In iTunes, go to Advanced at the top, and then go to Consolidate Library. This will copy all of your music in to a folder ';iTunes Music'; in your My Music folder.





2. Right click on the iTunes Music folder, and select properties.





If the total size is less than you flash drive then





3. Right click on the iTunes Music folder again, and choose copy.





4. Open your flash drive and then paste the iTunes Music folder in. Voila!


choose copy.Can I use my flash drive to get music off of my itunes on my old computer and put it on my new one?
Just remember, COPY, don't MOVE the files. Once the data is safely on the other computer, you can delete.





I would recommend investing in an external hard drive. That way, you can afford to set the security low, use a smaller hard drive in your computer, and use a lower wattage power supply in your computer.





External hard drives are far cheaper than flash drives, in the sense that they preserve your data far better than a flash drive. Flash drives are more prone to data damage by washing (if it gets frogotten in a pants pocket,) or by electricity (a jolt from an electronic cigarette lighter would knock it dead.)





I never use flash drive sticks, I tried one, and someone almost broke it off at a convention buy bumping into me. I gave it away before it caused me any data loss stress. I use SD cards in adapters. That way, if the adapter gets busted, I can replace the adapter, and can continue to use the SD card without any problems.
yes you can, flasdrives are just smaller and cheaper than buying external hard drives
yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment